Husband and Father

Husband and Father
July 15, 1958 ~ August 25, 2008

Saturday, April 18, 2015

In The Chicken Coop

Great neighborhoods are places where everyone watches out for one another.  Your neighborly duties may include watching some one's house while they are out of town, and/or taking care of their pets. Our neighborhood is one of those friendly places to live.

This weekend, I was asked by my backdoor neighbor (the G’s) to take care of their animals, and watch their house while they were out of town.  Between my kids and I, we had it covered.  It is a little tricky since they have 3 dogs, one cat, and 14 chickens.  Yes, you heard me right 14 chickens! 

The trend in our neighborhood is for residents to buy cute little baby chicks, that grow into chickens. I haven’t quite figured out what the obsession is with the chicks/chickens.  Is it merely for a pet, food storage, fresh eggs, or entertainment?  Once the chicks get big, the owners build them lavish housing facilities (not regular coops).  You can literally walk inside some of them.

This morning was busy for my kids, Kate was taking a college test, Lizzy was at dance, and Ben was at scout camp.  I was leisurely enjoying the morning lounging around in my Pajamas. I wasn’t sure if Kate had a chance to take the neighbors dogs out, so I decided to do it myself.  I thought if I was quick, no one would see me run through the gate, and into the neighbors house in my PJ’s.

As I arrived at their house, I let the 3 dogs, and 1 cat out for some fresh air and to do their business.  Once the cat and dogs were taken care of, I went out to check on the 14 chickens that I was supposed to feed and water.  They seemed to have enough food, but were low on water.  I decided to go back in the house, get a jug of water and fill the chicken’s water dispenser.

When I went inside, I decided to leave my cell phone on the counter.  I took the jug, unlocked the coop, stepped inside, and shut the door so the chickens wouldn’t escape.  After I poured the water in the dispenser, I realized I was locked in the chicken coop with 14 chickens!

Panic started to set in as I realized I couldn’t get out, and had 14 clucking chickens ready to start pecking me. I tried slipping my hand through the coop to unlock the door, but my hand was too big.  I started yelling for my daughter Kate, but realized she was gone.

With my cell phone in the house, I began yelling for anyone to save me from the chickens.  I yelled for a good 15 minutes, at the top of my lungs,“help me,” before a neighbor across the street heard me from his backyard.  “Do you need some help,” he shouted from the side of his house.  “Yes, I’m locked in the chicken coop,” I responded.  He leisurely walked a crossed the street and set me free from the chicken coop.  I was so relieved that I was out of the coop, that I didn’t even think about the sight I must have been standing there in my pajamas.

1 comments:

Jim said...

Interesting post